Fort Pitt Casting
Fort Pitt opened in 1906 and made custom parts for industrial customers (pipe fittings, axle parts and bearings for train cars, and other parts used in mines, boilers, circuit breakers, and motors). Fort Pitt's decline was in part due to it being bought and resold several times by conglomerates who were not familiar with steelmaking operations and made decisions that sabotaged morale. It closed in 1978, and then was reopened in 1980 as an employee-owned company, but outdated equipment made it difficult to remain competetive. It was bought out again in 1984 and seems to have run for two years until it was closed for good as a result of unpaid utility bills. The site was demolished in 2014-2015.
If you'd like to learn more about the story of Fort Pitt Casting, it is a featured chapter in the new Abandoned America book Abandoned America: Dismantling the Dream, available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and many other online booksellers across the globe. For more information on where to get it or how to purchase a signed copy follow this link. Photographs and unattributed text by Matthew Christopher. For more images click the thumbnails below.